Connor's therapeutic listening therapy has settled down to a steady routine. He wasn't happy in the hammock for more than 10 minutes at a time, so when he has to listen to the headset for a solid thirty minutes, without interuption, the taking him from the hammock after ten minutes and getting him settled somewhere else, wasn't working. I had to figure out when would work for him, and me, and where it would work.
He wasn't crazy about being interupted at any given moment from his toys and freedom to then sit for a solid thirty minutes, so I was trying to come up with something, anything, that would work for us both. One thing they don't want Connor to do is get "lost" in the music and zone out into his own little world, which he does often and easily. They want him to be in the moment and be aware of things around him. So I decided a few days ago to try it during lunch. I got his food ready and told him it was time to eat. At first he was confused when he went to his little seat and I was sitting on the couch with his food, but he solved that one all on his own by picking up his tray and climbing up on the couch and settleing the tray on his lap. I then put his food on the tray, put the headset on him, set the timer and away we went. He happily ate all his food while smiling or jigging to the music and easily sat there for the entire 30 minutes. It worked perfectly at supper also, so a new routine was born. Every lunch and dinner for Connor is now spent on the couch, a tray full of food on his lap and a book or magazine on the lap of Mommy sitting beside him, keeping one eye on him.
It is the perfect solution as it keeps us on a good schedule, because we never miss lunch of supper, and it makes him happy and keeps him in the moment by keeping his hands and mouth busy.
He wasn't crazy about being interupted at any given moment from his toys and freedom to then sit for a solid thirty minutes, so I was trying to come up with something, anything, that would work for us both. One thing they don't want Connor to do is get "lost" in the music and zone out into his own little world, which he does often and easily. They want him to be in the moment and be aware of things around him. So I decided a few days ago to try it during lunch. I got his food ready and told him it was time to eat. At first he was confused when he went to his little seat and I was sitting on the couch with his food, but he solved that one all on his own by picking up his tray and climbing up on the couch and settleing the tray on his lap. I then put his food on the tray, put the headset on him, set the timer and away we went. He happily ate all his food while smiling or jigging to the music and easily sat there for the entire 30 minutes. It worked perfectly at supper also, so a new routine was born. Every lunch and dinner for Connor is now spent on the couch, a tray full of food on his lap and a book or magazine on the lap of Mommy sitting beside him, keeping one eye on him.
It is the perfect solution as it keeps us on a good schedule, because we never miss lunch of supper, and it makes him happy and keeps him in the moment by keeping his hands and mouth busy.

No comments:
Post a Comment